Kindergarten "redshirting." What would you do?


Very interesting 60 Minutes piece--
Do parents not feel that they are holding their children back a grade when they make this decision? I had not encountered this phenomenon until I opened our school here in the state of Minnesota. School entrance ages are already "old" here (5 years old by Sep.1st). My family was accustomed to 5 by Dec.1st and we continued with the system they started school with and enrolled them "early' by MN standards. To enroll even later than that seems strange to me. The curriculum they will encounter is designed for their age group in the traditional school system. It should not pose problems for them. I would appreciate feedback on this subject, as it is one I have been speaking to parents about increasingly at conference time.

No comments:

Post a Comment