The Child in Nature

"What did you do outside today?"
"I just played."
Translation: "I followed a croaking sound to the edge of the marsh until I found a bullfrog, I watched a cloud turn into a big fluffy bunny,I figured out that you have to go to the end of the line each time after you are up in kickball."
You can ask any expert about the importance of unlimited time outdoors for a child. They will tell you about the need for a connection to nature, the necessity for developing imagination without electronic stimulation, the socio-emotional building blocks going missing every second the child stays indoors.
Better, I think, to ask the child.
"What can you do outside tomorrow?"
"Play some more."
Focus, listen, share your own experiences.
"I used to go down to the marsh, too..."
Don't just follow the frog on the screen, go on out and find the real thing.

http://www.childrenandnature.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment